At CHOA we believe information and education are integral to the successful operation and administration of your strata corporation. With that goal in mind, we encourage all strata owners to access the below public resources. If you have any questions please contact your closest CHOA Office.
Changes to the Form B Information Certificate regarding Parking and Storage Lockers
Effective January 1, 2014, under the Strata Property Act and Regulations, upon request for a Form B Information Certificate, strata corporations are obliged to disclose the nature of parking and storage lockers and how they are assigned to a strata lot.
Please click here for the CHOA bulletin: What you need to know about: Parking Spaces and Storage Lockers January 1, 2014 (PDF)
Please click here for a copy of the new Form B Information Certificate that took effect Jan. 1, 2014.
Civil Resolution Tribunal Act
On May 7th the provincial government introduced legislation, Bill 44 the Civil Resolution Tribunal Act, for justice reform that included a new alternative dispute resolution option for strata corporations in British Columbia. This is the first step in creating a low-cost, efficient, effective, alternative dispute resolution tribunal for BC's strata corporations. Bill 44 passed third reading on May 30, 2012.
- A copy of the CHOA Press Release can be found here (PDF).
- The Government of British Columbia News Release may be found here.
- Information on the Ministry of Justice website may be found here.
- Information on the Housing Policy Branch website may be found here.
- Bill 44, the Civil Resolution Tribunal Act may be found here.
- A copy of Tony Gioventu's Condo Smarts column "Civil Resolution Tribunal Act" may be found here
The B.C. provincial government has introduced new regulations making depreciation reports mandatory for strata corporations in B.C. Strata corporations of less than 5 units will be exempt from the requirements, plus a strata corporation may consider exempting itself by passing a 3/4 vote resolution. Changes to the Form B, Information Certificate were also introduced.
- "What to know about Depreciation Reports" – a CHOA information guide
- A copy of the CHOA News Release may be found here
- A copy of the regulations may be found here
- A copy of Tony Gioventu's Condo Smarts column re: Depreciation Reports and Form B changes may be found here
- Additional information is available at the B.C. Government's Strata Property website
- A copy of the Strata Property Act Form B (as of March 1, 2012) may be found here (PDF) or here (Word doc).
- A copy of a Depreciation Report Request For Proposal may be found here (PDF) or here (Word doc).
- A copy of the OIC pertaining to 1) how long a strata corporation must maintain depreciation report records, and 2) when a strata corporation that was formed after December 14, 2011 must obtain a depreciation report is available here (PDF).
- Letter to Minister Coleman: Depreciation Reports and Reserve Fund Studies, July 5, 2010 (PDF)
Articles / Bulletins
The Strata Property Act applies to all strata corporations in British Columbia. This section includes various articles and bulletins that will assist the many strata corporations throughout B.C.
- Law of Nuisance – Alexander Holburn Beaudin & Lang LLP
- Privacy Guidelines for Strata Corporations and Strata Agents – Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner
- Eco Strata Guide – One Earth Initiative Society in partnership with the Condominium Home Owners Association
- Guide to 2/5/10 Warranty Reporting – Lesperance Mendes
- Courts BC – Search the Courts BC website and find a recent decision
- Strata Insurance – Clark Wilson LLP
- The Effect of the Recent Changes to the Mortgage Qualifications Rules on Condominium Pre-Sales – Harper Grey LLP
- Smoke Free Housing in BC – Helping increase options for smoke-free living – Produced by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of B.C. & Yukon, on behalf of the BC Healthy Living Alliance.
- Small Strata Corporations – Tony Gioventu's Condo Smarts column and Information bulletin – Resources developed by the Condominium Home Owners Association (CHOA)
- Information regarding flooring bylaws in a strata corporation may be found here
- Stratas and WorkSafeBC: WorkSafeBC rules apply to every strata in BC. Jointly produced by CHOA and WorkSafeBC, this bulletin provides information to strata corporations about employees / contractors they hire and obligations to register with WorkSafeBC.
Since November 2002, CHOA's Executive Director, Tony Gioventu has informed readers with his "Condo Smarts" column. Answering real questions about real life situations, Tony has helped strata councils and owners with the operations and administration of their strata corporations. This column is currently published in the Province newspaper, Times Colonist, plus community papers in Penticton, Kelowna, Kamloops and Prince George.
Want to read these intriguing and informative columns? Please click here for a complete list of every Condo Smarts column published.
As of Thursday November 10, 2011 Tony Gioventu, CHOA's Executive Director, is a featured columnist in the 24 Hours newspaper. With a sensible and practical approach to strata questions, his "Strata Living" column can be found each Thursday in the "Habitat" section. Distributed to over 250,000 readers weekly, hard copies of the 24 Hours newspaper are available free throughout the greater Vancouver area, Monday to Friday. Electronic copies of the newspaper are available daily from the 24 Hours homepage, plus archived copies of the e-edition are available online.
Each issue of the CHOA Journal includes researched articles compiled by CHOA staff and other professionals on various aspects of strata living and the business industry. Included with membership, the CHOA Journal is a valuable tool for strata owners, strata council members and representatives from the strata industry to use when addressing a strata related question.
To view the latest issue of the CHOA Journal please click here to download.
Building Asset Management Bulletins
These bulletins provide a common understanding of the language and the terms that relate to the best practices of the maintenance, repair and long-term planning of renewal of your common property and common assets in your building systems. The bulletins have been produced in partnership with CHOA, RDH Building Engineering Ltd. and the generous support of the Real Estate Foundation of BC.
- Bulletin No. 1: What is Asset Management?
- Bulletin No. 2: What are the different types of assets that we own?
- Bulletin No. 3: What is an asset inventory?
- Bulletin No. 4: What happens over the life of a building?
- Bulletin No. 5: What is maintenance?
Experts on Call
Talk about Strata. Tune into AM650 one Tuesday of each month from 7:00pm till 8:00pm to join Tony Gioventu, CHOA's Executive Director, discuss strata's and strata living. Sponsored by Quay Pacific Property Management, the "Talk About Strata" show will explore the many facets of buying, owning and living in a strata corporation. Covering a variety of topics such as pet bylaws, age bylaws, rental restrictions, insurance, maintenance and repair, or even administration and operations, this show will cover it all. If it is strata related, it will be discussed. With so many interesting strata topics, each show promises to be educational and informative.
Visit the AM650 website to listen live or review past segments.
Ministry of Energy and Mines
Office of Housing and Construction Standards
Homeowner Protection Office: Maintenance Matters Bulletins
Maintenance Matters is a series of bulletins designed to provide practical information on the maintenance of the building envelope of multi-unit residential buildings including townhouses, low and high-rise residential buildings. For more information please visit the HPO website.
Strata-sphere Condominium Services Inc. is a company designed to assist the strata industry by providing education and information regarding stratas, bylaws and other relevant strata topics. The company provides up to date and relevant industry news with the "Voice from the Strata-sphere" newsletter and an opportunity for you to learn more about bylaws with the "Strata Property Act – A Practical Guide to Bylaws." Archived copies of the newsletter may be found on the "Strata-sphere" website.